Of course, a relaxing day cannot be complete without delicious food. The weather in Tehachapi today has been glorious, low seventies with a beautiful breeze and lots of sun. Kenneth decided to smoke some chicken drumsticks and wings on our new grill and I made homemade Jack Daniels barbecue sauce for them! On Thursday I bought some locally grown (Tangleweed Farms) rainbow Swiss chard so I decided to saute that too. I completed the meal with some cornbread that I baked in our cast iron skillet. If you have never baked anything in a cast iron skillet then you are missing out. The seasoning on the skillet that makes meats and sides so tasty also gives the bread a real depth of flavor. This recipe takes about five minutes to pull together, twenty to bake, and tastes delicious! I will never go back to baking my cornbread in a Pyrex dish!
Southern Cornbread
Adapted from The Joy of Cooking. This recipe is more on the savory side. Serve warm with honey and/or butter.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon fat (butter, bacon grease, lard, etc.)
1 cup stone ground cornmeal
¾ cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Melt the the tablespoon of fat in the cast iron skillet. Whisk the buttermilk and the eggs together in one bowl. In another bowl whisk all of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the skillet and bake in the oven until the top is browned and a cake tester comes out of the center clean, about twenty to twenty five minutes. | Pre-Op Moose |
| Kenneth and his new grill, a lovely birthday present from Grandma Jeanne. |
| Post-Op Moose. |
| Nothing says love like a Man and his Dog. |
| Swiss chard! Yum! |
| About to go in the oven... |
| twenty minutes later it comes out browned, yummy, and super moist! |
4 comments:
Thanks for the cornbread recipe! TJ LOVES cornbread. Also that swiss chard looks tasty :) Hope Moose is healing quickly!
Kenneth told me to "stop eating it or there wont be any left for me for dinner." It is SUPER MOIST! Moose says thanks! :)
woow that's nuts about your dogs! The cornbread looks delicious! I don't think I've had cornbread since o'hill haha
Oh, Ohill... how I miss your gastro intestinal unpleasantness, crazy card swiping man, and over priced convenient store.
Post a Comment