Friday, April 22, 2011

Baking with the Seasons

Ok, two posts in one week, I guess I am officially lame.  I have been searching for rhubarb for WEEKS!  I love the tart veggie and I have been dying to make jam with it.  I blame my mother for my obsession with the stuff- shout out to my mother (hi Mom!)  She grew up picking the ruby red stalks at her Grandparent's house in Minnesota.  When the rhubarb arrived at the grocery store she baked all kinds of crisps and crumbles with it.  She hoards one particular brand of strawberry rhubarb jam;  I inherited her obsession.  Anyways, the folks at Albertsons told me that California only gets rhubarb in October.  This seemed odd to me.  Well, two days ago I noticed the bright red stalks glowing from the produce section next to the bok choy and spring onions.  So much for October!  I purchased the last of their stock and froze half and baked with the other half.  This was the result...

Rhubarb... Je t'aime!

Streudel topping for the rhubarb bars!

Ready to be layered into deliciousness.

Off to the oven...

and into my belly!

1 comment:

Megan said...

wow those look really awesome! I've never actually had rhubarb. I'll have to amend the situation asap.