Sunday, February 27, 2011

It's Strawberry Season...

Every where I go I see strawberries.  They are sold at stands on the corner of several streets here in town and they are under a dollar a pound at the grocery store.  The farmer's market sold out of them today!  I wanted to learn to can for several weeks and with the abundance of strawberries, I thought a nice easy strawberry jam recipe would be the perfect thing to learn!  I bought a book on canning from Amazon.  I followed the very simple recipe for strawberry jam: three pounds of strawberries, two lemons (zest plus juice), and one and a half cups of sugar.  I boiled, strained, reduced, stirred, cleaned, sterilized, and sealed.  These are the results...

The ingredients and the prep work...

only three ingredients: strawberries, lemons (I used meyer), and sugar.

Fresh strawberries.

You put the strawberries and the sugar on the stove while you process the jars for the jam. 
Moose loves to help in the kitchen.

Dixie and Kenneth snuggle while I work on my new hobby.

Let berries and sugar simmer then remove the berries.

Then strain off the berries and reduce the syrup by half.

Then add the berries back to the reduced syrup and cook it some more!

Fill the processed jars with the jam, screw on the lids, and then put them back in the hot water bath and boil for ten minutes.

Let sit for twelve hours! 

They will keep for about a year (unless you open them!)

Yum!



Not to bad for a first timer! 

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Em... Let's be baking/cooking/canning pen pals... Everything looks amazing!

Cody said...

MMMM LOOKS SO GOOD! I AM GOING TO CAN STRAWBERRIES, JUST BECAUSE OF YOU!

Emily said...

Thanks guys! It was actually so much easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part is investing in the equipment- most of which you probably own and then sterilizing the jars... also known as bringing the world's largest pot of water to a rolling boil!

Sarah- Pen pals start today!