Monday, August 2, 2010

Mission... Impossible?

So I am assuming that most of my blog readers know that I have two adorable and lovable hound dogs, Moose and Dixie.  They just turned two and in general they are really good dogs.  In fact, I would venture that they are 90% good and about 10% bad BUT when they are bad they definitely make it count!  Luckily, Kenneth and I have a large backyard, our house in on a half acre lot.  When Kenneth moved to California in April he and his wonderful Mom put up a fence around the perimeter of the property.  About two weeks ago a cat tempted Moose from beyond the fence and he easily sailed over the four feet of horse wire.  This weekend Kenneth's friends Dan and Cam worked on the fence for two days, extending it to almost six feet tall, or slightly less.  Of course Moose and Dixie behaved like perfect angels in their presence... they literally spent all of Saturday and Sunday outside in the once forbidden backyard basking in the beautiful sunny breezy weather.  Well yesterday after the boys left Moose attempted to hop the fence.  He got stuck on the new portion of the fence but was able to put all of his weight on the fence and kind of flop over... EPIC FAIL!  What am I going to do with a one hundred pound dog with a taste for the outside world?  


I have mopped and cried and pulled half of my hair out and decided that doing all of those things is not going to make my house a happy one.  I have been dealing with a stubborn male (Kenneth) for three years and survived, I can totally handle Moose.  Tomorrow begins day one of my intensive boot camp for Moose... and probably Dixie for good measure.  The one thing I learned from my parents is that you have to give the illusion  of equality with your children. So, alas, Dixie will probably get some training too.  My goal: keep Moose inside the yard.  The empty lot behind our house has cats, snakes, tall grass, bugs... just bad things for humans and dogs.  If anyone can do it, I can... I did just graduate from the University of Virginia after all!  So in addition to my random California experiences, travels, and adventures, my blog will now contain the stories of Moose and the horse wire fence.  One day I will look back on these days and laugh.  One day I will turn these antics into some sort of novel/memoir/etc. and become a billionaire.  I will thank Moose when that day comes.  Today, I will just let him drool all over my lap with his floppy face.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I LOVE this dog!!! lol