
Over the past two weeks I have grown to love Tehachapi. I was definitely apprehensive about moving to California for many reasons: I had never been to California, I am a registered Republican with visions of kookie Californians swinging from trees with unshaven arm pits, we live literally in the desert. But, Tehahchapi is absolutely delightful. There are approximately 6500 residents of Tehachapi, an old rail road town that connected Los Angeles to the interior of the state. The locals call Tehachapi the "land of four seasons:" sun, snakes, snow, and wind (oh lord). Every where you look there are mountains and we live at an altitude of approximately 4,000 feet. The only signs of commercial America are the Starbucks, Kmart, Walgreens and McDonalds in town. Tehachapi has a great farmers market every week. I can bike to town and they even have a nice gym! Everyone here is so friendly and I am pretty sure none of them live in trees. The town reminds me of a "western" Stars Hollow (from Gilmore Girls). When small town life gets boring we are approximately 40 minutes from Bakersfield, 45 from the base, 2 hours from Los Angeles, 3 from San Diego, 5 from San Fransisco, and 6 hours from Napa! I spy lots of weekend trips on the horizon!

The hounds are so happy to be back at home from the kennel. We take really long walks every day for exercise which has helped me learn our neighborhood and town. I never had a dog as a kid so I am really new to this whole dog thing but I think we are getting along very well. I am learning and embracing the role of "pack leader" and the hounds definitely keep my days filled with antics. Moose, Dixie, and I have made friends on our walks. Yesterday two kids thought they were my seeing eye dogs, so embarrassing! We live in the "Golden Hills" neighborhood of Tehachapi and the dogs and me love to go for walks at dusk when the sun starts to set behind the mountains. I am too scared to walk them anytime after dark because of the rattlesnakes and other desert creatures that lurk around our neighborhood. Sharron, my landlord, says that I will definitely see my first rattle snake by the end of the summer... for all you snakes out there reading this: my house is armed and I will shoot you so please stay away!

I spend most of my time exploring the area and applying for jobs. I am unemployed (big surprise) and looking for a job like its my full time job! Kenneth has DVR for our giant TV: best invention ever! Dad drove out all of my bridal shower presents so our house finally looks a little more like us and less like Kenneth... a nice blend of both. Kenneth literally owns every movie ever made on blue ray or DVD so I have plenty of entertainment. I enjoy cooking with my new gadgets and getting our house ready for married life. I planted an herb box for the kitchen window and planted some lavender and perennials in our planter boxes in the front yard. We have two extra bedrooms and a well stocked liquor cabinet, a beautiful backyard and porch, and two loving dogs... COME VISIT! I am serious and I am talking to you: come visit!
So, I started this blog as a way to keep family and friends updated on life in California. I probably will post about once a week, maybe less, maybe more. This wont be a blog about feelings or random thoughts that come into my brain while in the shower. It will be a place for me to share all of the West Coast fun that I have with Kenneth, Moose, and Dixie. I miss you all and cant wait to hear from you!

xoxo
Em
No comments:
Post a Comment